Monday 12 September 2016

Practical 3D Applications Part 3

2nd attempt
I have a glass water bottle that is very hard to clean because it has a small mouth opening. Normally I clean it with a paper towel attached to a chopstick. One of our staff found me cleaning it one day and said, "Why don't you 3D print something?" Why indeed!

My idea was to take 2 toothbrushes, measure out the width and length of the bottom of the brushes with my trusty digital caliper, then make a long attachment so I can reach deep down without using my hand. I used pre-made shapes in tinkercad.


My first attempt was a dud. It didn't fit inside the bottle! My second attempt with the entry holes very far down offered no support to the brushes and they just went willy nilly everywhere once I got inside the bottle. Now granted I could have taped them together or used elastics but this was not the point.

all attempts
So I figured, why not just use one toothbrush? The third attempt was a one hole design but the hole was too far down and the brush still needed support so my fourth attempt elongated and thickened the stick itself.

And tadah! My one concern is I didn't account for trying to clean the very bottom. That will be a challenge for next time.




from LIBRARY AS MAKERSPACE http://ift.tt/2cEhqiw
via IFTTThttp://ift.tt/2cEhNtl

No comments:

Post a Comment