Thursday 14 July 2016

New York: My City by William Carroll at Mid-Manhattan Library

Today’s feature comes to us from William Carroll, whose work is currently on view at the Art Collection of Mid-Manhattan Library of the New York Public Library. Special thanks to Arezoo Moseni, Senior Art Librarian at Mid-Manhattan Library, for coordinating this feature.

From the NYPL website:

The Art and Picture Collections present New York: My City, a site-specific installation of two series of paintings titled NYC and RED, created by artist William Carroll. They consist of small paintings on paper capturing the urban landscape, and larger spray painted silhouettes of individual buildings. The images are inspired by long walks taken by the artist through all the five boroughs of New York City.

William Carroll made hundreds of quick line drawings in ink on memo pads while on these extensive walks. The paintings focus on the dialogue between the various buildings, the abrupt changes in scale specific to New York, and the experience of moving through the city space. Retaining the simplicity and spontaneity of the original drawings, the paintings are like pages in a journal that relay information in as straightforward a manner as possible. These works are the artist’s way of documenting, and making tangible, the soul of the city.

The exhibition series Art Wall on Third is curated by Arezoo Moseni.

We asked Mr. Carroll to reflect on the role that libraries have played in his life and work, and what it means to him to have this exhibition on at Mid-Manhattan Library. Below is his response.

William Carroll
New York: My City
On view at the Art Collection of Mid-Manhattan Library through August 16

I have long been a great fan of the NYPL Mid-Manhattan Library’s Art Wall on Third exhibition series. I had the pleasure of meeting the curator and senior art librarian, Arezoo Moseni, in a professional setting several years ago.  She became familiar with my work and suggested that, especially as it is all about New York, it might be a good fit for the space.  We discussed possible installation ideas, and ultimately she chose to create a dialogue between two series of my paintings, NYC (small black and white works), and RED (red spray painted pieces.)  Both series are on paper and would be framed in white.  I got to work and created 56 pieces to be hung salon style: the finished installation.  The challenge was to make it cohesive; to feel like a single statement.

 

William Carroll, from New York: My City, NYC 620, 2016, acrylic on paper, 11x9 inches (framed)

William Carroll, from New York: My City, NYC 620, 2016, acrylic on paper, 11×9 inches (framed)

 

William Carroll, from New York: My City, NYC 634, 2016, acrylic on paper, 9x11 inches (framed)

William Carroll, from New York: My City, NYC 634, 2016, acrylic on paper, 9×11 inches (framed)

 

William Carroll, from New York: My City, NYC 641, 2016, acrylic on paper, 11x9 inches (framed)

William Carroll, from New York: My City, NYC 641, 2016, acrylic on paper, 11×9 inches (framed)

My mother was a voracious reader.  Visiting the library every Saturday, to get our books for the week, was a family ritual.

This was on Long Island, but my mother grew up in Manhattan loving the NYPL.  I cannot think of another venue in the world for my work that would have pleased her more.  As a Manhattan resident myself for the past 34 years, I think of Mid-Manhattan Library as my local library.  It is here where I do research on all the other artists who have depicted this great city, especially early 20th century American artists Alfred Stieglitz, Louis Lozowick, Joseph Stella, and Georgia O’Keeffe (her paintings looking across the East River are my very favorite.)

And appropriate for the context is that I actually think of my works as pages from an ongoing journal.  Taken from simple drawings on memo pads done on my walks, each painting gives the information I want to convey in as straightforward and spontaneous a manner as possible.  As a group, they express the feeling of moving through the city at dawn and dusk, the cityscape constantly changing at every turn.

 

William Carroll, from New York: My City, RED 39, 2015, spray paint and gesso on paper, 13x17 inches (framed)

William Carroll, from New York: My City, RED 39, 2015, spray paint and gesso on paper, 13×17 inches (framed)

 

William Carroll, from New York: My City, RED 40, 2015, spray paint and gesso on paper, 17x13 inches (framed)

William Carroll, from New York: My City, RED 40, 2015, spray paint and gesso on paper, 17×13 inches (framed)

In past exhibitions, including four solo shows at Elizabeth Harris Gallery in Chelsea, the works have been hung in a straight line grouped by series.  One wall the NYC pieces, another wall the RED works, etc.  In this first experience with a public space, seeing them in this big group covering the wall has been a revelation.  I have had a number of people tell me how much more it evokes the energy of the city.  It is also satisfying to have an audience that is not exclusively the “art world.”  It has always been my intention to make work that is sophisticated, but also accessible.  Ms. Moseni has told me “the guards love it.”  This makes me happy.  Even my young great-nieces and nephews get it.

Having my personal take on this city that I love on display in this amazing context is a complete thrill.

William Carroll has been involved in the New York art world for over thirty years. He was Director of the Charles Cowles Gallery and the Elizabeth Harris Gallery in New York. He also worked at the Dia Art Foundation, Brooklyn Museum, and Nancy Graves Foundation. He is currently Director of EFA Studio Program. Carroll has curated numerous exhibitions, the most recent at Shirin Gallery in Chelsea.  He teaches an MFA course in professional practice at Pratt Institute, and has lectured extensively at other institutions. His paintings have been reviewed in Art in America, and he has had four solo exhibitions, the last in January 2015, at Elizabeth Harris Gallery where his work is represented. His next solo exhibition will open at Evans Contemporary in Peterborough, Canada sometime in 2016.



from Library as Incubator Project http://ift.tt/2aca2sv
via IFTTThttp://ift.tt/2a0khnt

No comments:

Post a Comment